Subscribe:

Ads 468x60px

Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Death & Resurrection of HDD

This is my dead 2.5 inch HDD.


It was around 1 month ago, when my Samsung IDE 2.5inch 160GB 5400rpm 8MB cache suddenly died. Picture above is the dead HDD when I first get it. Maybe it already reach the end of its lifetime or it just that luck is not on my side. I'm very sad for my assignment and picture that gone with the HDD.

Moving to RMA (Return Material Authorization) process with Samsung website is easy. The ugly thing is that their headquarters is in Singapore. Gosh, I'm started to find small box, padding for shock absorber, and lots of cello tape. It cost me about RM20 for air parcel to SIN, and reach there about 10 days. Once they receive it (13 July 2010), I'm relieved. The next day, they send it to my address in Shah Alam using DHL express parcel. Yeah, i receive it by noon of 15 July.


I feel happy and started to formatting and lots of installing. I'm still worried should this HDD will fail me again. It is surely faster (5400rpm vs 4200rpm) and lighter data access (8MB vs 2MB) compared to my original Seagate HDD. Well, I hope it will last longer... I pray. Please live longer before I get myself desktop HDD for backup .

No comments:

Post a Comment